The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into force on 25th May 2018. We have to make some changes to the way we handle information (such as membership details and mailing lists) to ensure we’re complying with this new law.
We’ve been asking all our members to update their details and confirm which information you’d like to receive from us by renewing their membership. This can be done quickly and easily by completing our updated membership form. Please note that you will need to do this no matter when or how you originally became a member as we need to have evidence of your renewed consent.
To ensure we reach everyone, we sent out a GDPR email to members on 20th March 2018, followed by a final reminder if we had not heard from you, via email on 18th April and by post from 25th-29th April (if we have your address). We’ve also posted links to our membership form on our Facebook page, and have included info in the Emersons Green Voice. If we have still not heard from you, your membership will lapse on 25th May 2018 and any data we hold for you will be deleted. Don’t worry though, you can request to become a member again at any time.
What can you expect from our GDPR changes?
- Your data will be protected under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- We have a clear privacy statement which can be viewed here.
- All members must register and consent individually.
- You now have a full choice over which information you receive from us, and in what way.
- We have an obligation to provide members with information about their membership but we now require you to opt-in to our additional mailing lists (LGCA Newsletter and Community Centre updates).
- Our membership types have been reviewed and we will now be clear about which type of member you are, and what this means.
- We will retain evidence of the deletion of data. All data held without renewed consent will be deleted as as practicable after 25th May 2018.
- The data we hold, our membership and mailing lists, will be reviewed every 12 months to ensure we’re continuing to comply with the law.
Thank you for your cooperation and continued support while we make these big changes to our systems. We’ve had over 40% of our members renew so far, and over 30 new members! Your support has made it much easier to ensure we’re complying with the GDPR quickly and efficiently before the upcoming deadline, so Thank You!
Please note: we’ll be sending our confirmation of membership (and cancellation) shortly after 25th May once GDPR comes into force.